- teamwork and leadership
- natural environment restoration & monitoring
- sustainable design and sustainable living
- practical tool use
- bushwalking, canoeing and cycling
- organic gardening and sustainable farming
The Crossing provides a hands-on learning experience with skills that link to syllabus educational outcomes:
Secondary Curriculum Links
- Science – human impacts on ecosystems, conservation & resource protection
- Biology – ecosystem study and threatened species survey
- Geography – ecosystems at risk survey and navigation
- Earth and Environmental Science – water issues and sustainable design
- Food Technology – organic food for health and group meals
- PDHPE – outdoor recreation
- Society and Culture – conserver/sustainer communities and sense of place
- Tourism – events and guiding.
Tertiary Course Links
Students enrolled in the following areas of study could expect to gain valuable practical and design experience at The Crossing:
- Certificate 2-4 Outdoor Recreation: Adventure Based learning, Interpretation, Flora, Fauna and Landscape Interpretation, Marine Environments Interpretation, Tour Guiding, Youth Service Delivery, Youth Orientation
- Certificate 2-4 Tourism and Hospitality: Guiding, Tour Operations, Safe Food Handling, Meetings and Events, Customer Service, Sales and Marketing, General Administration, Hygiene, Health, Safety and Security.
- Certificate 2-4 Land and Conservation Management: Natural Area Restoration, Erosion and sediment control, observing and reporting plants and animals, constructing access tracks, inspections of designated areas, sampling and water testing, monitoring biodiversity, wildfire hazard reduction.
- Certificate 2-4 Community Services: Promotion and Support, Recruiting and supporting volunteers, Safe food hygiene, Ethical understandings, group activies, positive learning, cooperative behaviour.
- Certificate 2-4 Business Studies: Environmental Work Practices, Training and Assessment, OHS, advertising, communication and effective teamwork.
- Certificate 2-4 Permaculture Design: Course unit owned by private provider Permaculture International
- Bachelor Degrees in Outdoor Education, Eco Tourism, Social Ecology, Natural Resource Management, Community Development, Environmental Law.