‘We imagined a sustainable camp for young people encompassing a unique journey from sea to snow.’ – Dean and Annette
Almost 20 years ago, Dean and Annette Turner acquired an idyllic bush location on Australia’s “Wilderness Coast” to create one of Australia’s leading camps for young people to learn about the environment and sustainability … and also about themselves.
Over two thousand volunteers have helped create The Crossing Land story – building unique structures and landscaping the camp and it’s organic gardens as part of a sustainable permaculture design.
As The Crossing grew from strength to strength, so did its achievement and commitment to the original vision.
- In 1999 a vibrant Volunteer Board was established
- In 2003 a Voluntary Conservation Agreement with National Parks and Wildlife protected the land in perpetuity
- In 2005 The Crossing Land was awarded ‘Best Conservation Project in Australia’ by International Student Volunteers
- In 2006 an Environmental Education Trust was established and permanent tax deductible status
- In 2013 The Crossing’s trainee received ’School-based Trainee of the Year′ for Conservation Land Management in New South Wales
- In 2015 The Crossing is a Landcare group for The Far South Coast Landcare Association and a member of South East Producers
The Crossing teachs sustainability and landcare to tomorrow’s leaders. Our Board includes people with land management and conservation experience, outdoor leadership, education, counselling, business management and marketing experience.
The Crossing will begin a search for two individuals to work as a team to Coordinate Programs and the Site in 2017.
Dean Turner is the current Project Director and a qualified teacher, agricultural scientist, permaculturalist, outdoor recreator, and conservation land manager. He also likes to surf, ski, bushwalk, write poems, sing songs and pun. He has 25 years of outdoor and environment education experience.
The Crossing also employs conservation land management trainees and additional staff with relevant outdoor recreation leadership experience and qualifications. High quality volunteers are also sought. Those assisting with youth programs have relevant Working with Children’s checks.